Item:
ON12789

Original British Napoleonic New Land Pattern Tower Flintlock Pistol marked to the 7th Light Dragoons - circa 1810

Regular price $2,995.00

Splitit Learn More

Item Description

Original Item: Only One Available. This Lovely flintlock Pistol dates to prior the Battle of Waterloo, and is a standard full stocked flintlock pistol fitted with the NEW LAND PATTERN Swivel all steel "captured" ramrod. Introduced in 1808, this allowed a Cavalryman to easily reload the pistol while on horseback without fear of dropping his ramrod.

The lock is marked with Crown over G.R. and TOWER on the lock plate tail, with the "Lock Viewer's" mark under the pan. In fine tight and all original condition showing British Proof marks. It is fitted with the standard 8 3/4" .67" smooth bore barrel, which still shows visible proofs on the breech end, a rare thing to see. From what we can see, they are the CROWN / GR royal proof and the CROWN / CROSSED SCEPTERS Birmingham Proof. The lock functions well, holding at half cock and firing at full. The captured ramrod works as well. 

Overall condition is very nice, with the expected wear from age and use. The stock has a standard brass nose cap and all brass fittings. On the trigger guard there is an excellent regimental marking, which reads:

7-L-D
D
59

This would stand for the 7th (The Queen's Own) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons (Hussars), D company, 59th Man. This is a storied regiment with a history going back to the late 17th century, and is today represented in the Queen's Royal Hussars. 

First raised in 1689 as Cunningham's Dragoons, the 7th Light Dragoons fought in the peninsular wars and later in the Napoleonic wars. They saw action at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 under the direct command of Lieutenant Colonel Sir Edward Kerrison.  The regiment was held in reserve at the battle, until the final stage of the fighting, when they were deployed against a squadron of French cuirassiers (heavy cavalry). After ten charges they killed all of them taking two officers, one being the French Marshall de Logis, as prisoners.

The Colonel of the Regiment was "on Staff" that day as the Duke of Wellington's Second in Command: Colonel, later Lt. General, Lord Henry Paget, the Second EARL OF UXBRIDGE who interestingly lost a leg in the Battle on that day.

A highly desirable Flintlock pistol from the Napoleonic Wars from a remarkable British regiment with an action packed history. Ready to display!

Specifications: 

Year of Manufacture: circa 1810
Caliber: .67" Pistol
Ammunition Type: Lead Ball & Powder
Barrel Length: 8 3/4 inches
Overall Length: 15 1/4 inches
Action: Flintlock Side Action
Feed System: Muzzle-Loaded

NOTE: International orders of antique firearms MUST be shipped using UPS WW Services (courier). USPS Priority Mail international will not accept these.

  • This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
    New Jersey


    This product is available for international shipping.
  • Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Cash For Collectibles

Liquid error: Argument error in tag 'include' - Illegal template name