Original Austrian Model 1867 Werndl–Holub 11mm Infantry Rifle - Dated 1868
Original Item: Only One Available. The M1867 Werndl-Holub was a single-shot breech-loading rifle that the Austro-Hungarian army adopted in 1867. It replaced the Wanzl breech-loader conversion of the muzzle-loading Lorenz rifle. Josef Werndl (1831-1889) and Karel Holub (1830-1903) designed and patented their design; Werndl later bought out all the rights.
This wonderful example is fully functional, expertly cleaned, and even still has regimental markings on the steel butt plate. It is nicely dated 1868 (868) on the lock below a small Austrian Double-headed eagle proof, and the bore is in great shape, with clear lands and grooves, and just a few spots of darkening. Metal condition is good, and the stock is in great shape for its age, with a wonderful patina. It also has regimental marking 84.R. / 3623. on the butt plate tang. This is the one you want for your collection!
ŒWG (Österreichische Waffenfabriksgesellschaft) produced the Werndl and chambered it for the 11mm scharfe Patrone M.67 (11.15×42R) cartridge. In 1877 the military rechambered the Werndl for the bottleneck 11mm scharfe Patrone M.77 (11.15×58mmR) cartridge. Some were marked with the ŒWG logo on the receiver, while others such as this are marked WERNDL. It is also marked St.69 on the barrel.
In spite of the Werndl being long obsolete by World War I, the Austro-Hungarian forces issued Werndl rifles to rear-echelon units to free up more modern rifles for use by front-line troops.
It was adopted by the Imperial Austrian Army in 1869 to replace the WANZL breech loading conversion of the muzzle loading Lorenz Rifle. The Wendl saw extensive service even after it was declared obsolete in the 1880s as it was issued to reserve regiments during the First World War and only finally becoming fully retired in 1918.
The principal feature of the M1867 was the drum-breech, which, while sturdy and secure, compromised extraction. The rifle had a one piece stock with a straight wrist, a back-action lock and an external hammer. There were two screwed barrel bands and a nose cap; swivels lay under the middle band and butt. A cleaning rod was carried beneath the muzzle. A bayonet lug appeared on the right side of the muzzle. Standard infantry-pattern trigger guards were plain ovals, but a finger spur was substituted for Jager units.
Made by Österreichische Waffenfabriks-Gesellschaft, Steyr, 1867-74
Rotary-block breech, with an external hammer
Caliber: 11x42mm rimmed
1278mm [50.3"] overall, 4.43kg 9.7 lbs
855mm [33.7"] barrel, 6-groove rifling, RH, concentric
Ramp-and-leaf sight graduated from 200 to 1400 paces
Muzzle velocity 436m/sec with M1867 rifle cartridge
This is the rifle that got Steyrwerks off the ground! As a result of the obvious superiority of the Dreyse Needle guns shown at the battle of Sadowa, Austria decided to adopt a small calibre metallic cartridge breech loader. The Austrians knew that the Wanzl conversion of the M1854 Lorenz was a stopgap at best and they engaged in extensive trials to adopt a successor. The Werndl was principally the invention of Karel Holub who associated with Josef Werndl, director of Styerwerks, to manufacture the rifle. At trials at the Vienna Arsenal, the Remington Rolling Block system was the clear front-runner until submission of the Holub and, when a decision could not be made, both rifles were submitted to the King who, (surprise!) chose the Holub.
This is a rotating drum-action breech loader that can't easily be missed for anything else. When the hammer is drawn back the longitudinal drum breechblock is rotated on a central pin by means of a flat lever protruding from and integral with the drum. The drum has a section cut out to allow loading of a fresh round and, when loaded, the drum/ block is rotated back, the cut-out being replaced by the solid face of the block. The firing pin is located offset within the block in a manner reminiscent of the Snider and Trapdoor blocks and recessed within the block allowing the block to pivot within the receiver.
Year of Manufacture: 1868
Ammunition Type: Center-Fire Cartridge
Overall Length: 50.4 Inches
Action: Rotating drum bolt
Feed System: Single Shot
NOTE: International orders of antique firearms MUST be shipped using UPS WW Services (courier). USPS Priority Mail international will not accept these.
This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
This product is available for international shipping.
IMA considers all of our antique guns as non-firing, inoperable and/or inert. Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 921(a)(16) defines antique firearms as all guns made prior to 1899. This law exempts antique firearms from any form of gun control or special engineering because they are not legally considered firearms. No FFL, C&R or any license is required to possess, transport, sell or trade Antique guns. All rifles and muskets sold by IMA that were manufactured prior to 1899 are considered Antiques by the US BATF (United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms). Therefore, all of IMA's Antique guns may be shipped to all US States and most nations around the world.
These antique guns are not sold in "live" condition. They are sold as collector's items or as "wall hangers". Any attempt at restoring an antique gun to be operational is strongly discouraged and is done so at the risk of the customer. By purchasing an antique gun from IMA you thereby release IMA, its employees and corporate officers from any and all liability associated with use of our Antique guns.
Pre-1899 Manufacture, no licenses required, allowed to ship to almost any deliverable address across the globe. Please note that for international shipping, these MUST be shipped using UPS WW Services.
Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon