Original WWII Japanese Army Officer Katana Samurai Sword - Ancient Handmade Double Signed Blade
Original Item: Only One Available. Purchased directly from a veteran's family this is a very good condition Japanese officer katana. The blade is old, we are told ancient, due to a few tell tale characteristics that include:
- Double-hole tang.
- Tang is signed (engraved) by the maker on both sides along with a painted signature as well (triple markings!).
- Holes in tang are punch not drilled.
- Folded steel blade (fold lines are evident on the spine).
- Visible temper line ("hamon").
Offered in very good condition with specks of discoloration on blade, it is still razor sharp and mostly nick free. Blade is heavy and the length is approximately 27 and overall length 38. Handmade blade with two mounting holes in the squared off tang.
Round tsuba (cross guard) with menuki (grip decoration), and a nice Kashira (end cap), one bamboo securing peg still present. Nice stingray Sa-Me (grip) with complete Ito (cloth binding). The scabbard (saya) is steel and in very nice condition with original WW2 paint.
It has been over one thousand years ago that the art of making swords appeared in Japan. The swordsmiths of the time may not have known it but they were creating a legendary sword. The Samurai sword has seen combat in many battlefields. From the early days of the Samurai warrior to the fierce battles in the South Pacific during WWII.
Each hand-made Samurai sword is unique because it is forged from steel stock. A tremendous amount of work is dedicated to creating these pieces. They were an instrument of war as much as a beautiful artifact to adorn a room.
The Samurai sword has grown to be one of the most highly desired military antiques.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle