Original U.S. WWII US Marine Corps 3rd Type Canteen Cover With Canteen - UNIS Marked For H&S Company, 2nd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division

Item Description

Original Item: Only One Available. This is a fantastic example of a highly desirable UNIS marked USMC canteen cover with canteen. The UNIS marking is for 2nd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, a unit that saw some of the worst fighting in the whole Pacific Theater when they landed on Iwo Jima.

The “Unit Numerical Identification System'' was used to hide unit identities. The 4th Marine Division used this system to a far greater extent than any other Division during WW2. Each Marine Division was identified by a geometrical shape, in the case of the 4th Marine Division this was a semicircle. Enclosed within the shape was a 3-digit code with this one being 521. An additional number stenciled above the semi circle denoted the rank which does not appear to be present on this one. The stenciling is faded but we can read the 521 properly. The “500 series” was a system used by the 25th Regiment of Marines.

5 is for 25th Marines
2 is for 2nd Battalion
1 is for Headquarters and Service Company

The cover itself is in wonderful condition and does show signs of extensive use and wear, but is presented without any extensive damage. There are no manufactur’s markings visible.

The canteen is marked as being made by VOLLRATH in 1943. The canteen has a horizontal seam towards the top with this type being made from 1942 to 1945. There is no extensive damage present with the canteen and the cap is still retained by the proper chain.

A lovely UNIS marked example that comes more than ready for further research and display.

2nd Battalion, 25th Marines In WWII
The battalion was first activated on 1 May 1943, at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, as the 2nd Battalion, 25th Marines. It was relocated during August–September 1943 to Camp Pendleton, California. In September 1943, 2/25 was assigned to the 4th Marine Division. The battalion was deployed to combat during January 1944 to Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands. It participated in the following World War II campaigns: Kwajalein, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima while under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Lewis C. Hudson. In October 1945, it relocated to Camp Pendleton, California and was deactivated on 31 October 1945.

Roi Namur
The 25th Marines were transferred to the West Coast in August 1943 the 2nd battalion sailed for San Diego via Panama Canal. They arrived on September 10 and marched to the newest marine base, Camp Pendleton and joined 4th Marine Division. All division's units began preparing for the first combat deployment in Pacific – Kwajalein Operation.

The 25th Marines took par tin in the landing exercise on San Clemente Island at the beginning of January 1944 subsequently left San Diego on January 13. They reached Hawaii on January 22 and then sailed to Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. The main goal was to secure the Atoll and get that a new base for future offensives. The 25th Marine Regiment was designated a part of the Northern Landing Force, which took part in the capturing of Roi-Namur, the center of air activity in the Marshall Islands.

The main objective for 25th Marines was the capturing of the small off-shore islands, which should served as artillery sites for fire support of advancing units. 2nd battalion were tasked the capturing of Ennubir Island, site of the main Japanese radio transmitter. The battalion at the dawn of January 31 and captured the Island almost without resistance. 2nd Battalion, 25th Marines later secured all eight islands, but all without resistance. The Kwajalein operation ended with success on February 3, 1944, and 25th Marines sailed for Maui, Hawaii for rest and refit at the end of February of that year.

Saipan and Tinian
2nd battalion then took part in the landing maneuvers and preparations for the next campaign, Saipan. They finally sailed back to the war zone on May 25 and after brief stay on Eniwetok, 25th Marines reached Saipan on June 15. The main objective of 4th Marine Division was the capture of Aslito airfield in the southern end of the island and advance north along the east coast.

Lieutenant Colonel Hudson landed with 2nd Battalion on left flank of Yellow Beach 1 in the morning of that day and half of the battalion successfully advanced inland almost 500 yards while taking cover behind the moving LVTs. The second half of 2nd battalion was pinned down on the beach by enemy mortar and machine gun fire, until allied fighter planes wiped these enemy emplacements out. The Second Battalion led the way of the regiment and took part in the attack on Aslito Airfield on June 17.

After mopping-up operations in the southern part of the Island, 2nd Battalion, 25th Marines went to the reserve on June 26 and remained there until the beginning of July. 2nd battalion were subsequently ordered to Mt. Petosukara, where repelled a furious assault of Japanese rifle company. The repeated attack on the morning of the next day was so intense that even personnel from the battalion aid station took part in the defense. An island was finally declared secured on July 9, 1944.

For general success in Marianas, an island of Tinian had to be secured, which was located southward of Saipan. Tinian was a little bit smaller than previous island, but higher quality garrison. The landing itself was commenced on July 24 2nd Battalion landed on White Beach 1 in the North of the island during the morning of that day. Hudson subsequently led his battalion in attack on enemy positions on Mt. Maga and then attacked enemy fortifications on near Mt. Lasso on July 26.

On July 28, Japanese resistance on the island fell apart except some individuals, who denied to surrender. 2nd battalion took up in the mopping-up operations and Tinian was declared secured on August 1, 1944

Iwo Jima
The right-most landing area was dominated by Japanese positions at the Quarry. The 25th Marine Regiment undertook a two-pronged attack to silence these guns. 2nd battalion on Blue beach 2 on February 19 with the orders to seize high ground located 500 yards inland. The advance of the battalion was halted by the enemy's machine gun and mortar fire, and casualties began increasing.On February 20, when the battalion was subsequently pinned down again, Lieutenant Colonel Hudson repeatedly exposed himself to enemy fire in order to supervise and coordinate the attack. Although suffering painful wounds, he refused medical aid until all other casualties had been given treatment, continuing to supervise the attack until replaced by a new battalion commander, Lt.Col. James Taul. The most arduous task left to the 25th Marines was the taking of the Motoyama Plateau with its distinctive Hill 382 and Turkey knob and the area in between referred to as the Amphitheater. This formed the basis of what came to be known as the "meatgrinder" During this time the 25th Marines experienced some of the worst fighting of the whole pacific war suffering heavy losses.They used flamethrowers,Grenades,and tanks to flush the Japanese out of there caves and bunkers from which they fought.The 25th Marines were relieved in late March 1945 and sent back to Maui, Hawaii

  • This product is available for international shipping.
  • Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal & Sezzle


Cash For Collectibles