Original U.S. WWII RAF Fighter Pilot 26 Channel Sweeps USN Air Force Named Grouping
Original Item: One-of-a-kind collection. This is a fantastic set with wonderful documentation and provenance from one of only a handful of fighter pilots during WWII that flew in both the Royal Air Force and U.S. Navy.
Winston Grover "Tex" Baggett born on September 3rd 1920 was from Houston, Texas. After graduating High School in 1939 he trained for the Royal Air Force at the Spartan School of Aeronautics in Tulsa Oklahoma. He graduated on June 9th, 1942 and received his commission in the RAF as a Pilot Officer. He was assigned to No. 53 Operational Training Unit RAF and flew Masters and Spitfires. He flew during the summer and fall of 1942 accumulating 26 Channel Sweeps (missions), 1 credited downed plane, and 2 disabled. He returned to the US and joined the U.S. Naval Reserve as an Ensign for the U.S. Naval Air Force. He served in the in the Navy and by 1944 was stationed in Casablanca, Africa. We know this because, included in a research binder on Baggett, is a copy of a letter from the National Archives that his mother sent to President Roosevelt on July 27th, 1944. She begged the President to let her son return to Texas to see is "gravely ill' father that was on the verge of death.
This fantastic collection is featured in the fabulous book Silver Wings & Leather Jackets by Jon A. Maguire on pages 22-23. It was purchased directly from the collector that loaned it to the author for publication.
U.S. Fighter Pilots who served in the RAF were few and far between, especially ones with 26 confirmed channel missions, making this collection extremely rare. This set consists of the following items:
- RAF tunic with USA shoulder patches, embodied wings, 1939–1945 Star medal ribbon, named to BAGGETT inside left shoulder.
- RAF side cap with wings and crown pins
- George VI Officer Commission naming Winston Grove Baggett to the rank of Pilot Officer on the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve and dated June 13th, 1942.
- British WWII 1939–1945 Star Medal.
- U.S. Navy Officer Commission dated December 3rd, 1942.
- Original large format photo of Baggett in USN uniform.
- Brand new copy of the Silver Wings & Leather Jackets by Jon A. Maguire on pages 22-23.
- Research binder with dozens of documents directly from NARA (National Archives) documenting Baggett's service in both the RAF and USN.
Overall a fantastic set with wonderful documentation and provenance from one of only a handful of fighter pilots during WWII that flew in both the Royal Air Force and U.S. Navy.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle