Original U.S. WWII D-Day 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment (507th PIR) Named Grouping - Documented Operation Neptune and Varsity Jumps

Item Description

Original Items: One-of-a-kind grouping. Pfc Eric R. Gill ASN 32624358 enlisted on November 10th,1942 and was a Private First Class (Pfc) assigned to the 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment Headquarters Company and spent three years overseas and in combat. He participated in the D-Day Invasion as part of Operation Neptune and jumped into occupied France on June 6th, 1944. After recovering he then participated in Battle of the Bulge - The Ardennes Offensive and is documented as jumping into Germany on March 24th, 1945 in Operation Varsity. Pfc. Gill was Wounded in Action during Operation Varsity having been shot in his hip/buttock area and was sent back to England to recover.

Included in this incredible grouping are the following items:

- Original M1942 Paratrooper Jump Jacket with ultra rare totally genuine WWII issue 507th PIR insignia patch stitched to the left chest above the pocket. The interior of the jacket at the neck is marked GILL in faded ink and hi laundry number G-4358 is also in faded ink at the interior armpit. The jacket is in overall very good condition, though all the snap covers for the pockets were removed, the snaps are still present but the covers were replaced with hand stitched wartime buttons, this was most likely done post war or while in recovery at the hospital so Gill could wear the jacket daily. There is also old stitching from a previous insignia patch, a larger version which would have been correct for earlier issue.

- Overseas Garrison side cap with early war Paratrooper patch and wonderful crosshatch stitching.

- Standard issue OD wool shirt with Sterling Silver Parachute Wings, with 82nd airborne shoulder patch on right shoulder and 17th Airborne on left shoulder. Size is 15" neck, 32" sleeve.

Research binder with incredible copies of original documents and include the following:

OPERATION NEPTUNE JUNE 6th 1944 Douglas C-47 Skytrain Tail Number 43-14158 with 507th personnel list that includes Pfc. Eric R. Gill. This unquestionably verifies that he jumped on D-Day!

- Aerial Photo from D-DAY showing Gill and his portion of the 507th jumping into Normandy.

- OPERATION VARSITY MARCH 24th, 1945 Douglas C-47 Skytrain Tail Number 42100755 with 507th personnel list that includes Pfc. Eric R. Gill. This unquestionably verifies that he jumped on D-Day!

- INJURY REPORT for the 507th HQ Company dated March 26th, 1945 listing GILL.

- Hospital Admission Card data referencing GILL, his rifle bullet unjust to his hip/buttocks in March, 1945.

- BOOTS & WINGS OVERSEAS newspaper clipping Purple Heart Review dated June 14th, 1945 that reads: "Pvt Eric R. Gill of the M/C section is in the states, after having been hit by small arms fire on the Rhine Jump."

- Pay Roll record dated February 1st, 1945 for Gill.

- Book Thunder from heaven page 18 which lists Gill as a member of the 507th HQ Company roster.

- Book Thunder from heaven page 19 which shows Gill in a group photos as a member of the 507th HQ Company.

- 507th Parachute Infantry, 1943 Yearbook by Eldridge G. Chapman. Page 118 which lists Gill as a member of the 507th HQ Company roster.

- Short Snorter 100 French Franc Note with Eric R. Gill Signature.

- 20th July, 1944 HQ Co. 507th PIR Morning Report listing Eric R. Gill.

- 24th July, 1944 HQ Co. 507th PIR Morning Report listing Eric R. Gill.

- Expert Infantryman Badge General Order dated February 22nd, 1945 for exemplary conduct in action against the enemy in Normandy, France, campaign, June 6th, 1944 to July 9th, 1944 naming Gill as a member of HQ Co. 507th PIR.

- Combat Infantryman Badge General Order dated February 22nd, 1945 for exemplary conduct in action against the enemy from December 26th, 1944 to February 11th, 1945, naming Gill as a member of HQ Co. 507th PIR.

The 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR) was activated on July 20, 1942 at Fort Benning, GA. Lieutenant Colonel George V Millett Jr was given the command. After jump-training at Fort Benning the regiment deployed to the Army air base at Alliance, Nebraska and became part of the 1st Airborne Brigade.After arriving in North Ireland in December, 1943, the 507th was attached to the 82nd Airborne along with the 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment. Still under the command of Colonel George V. Millett Jr, the 507th moved to Nottingham, England in March, 1944 to prepare for the Allied invasion of Europe.

D-Day - Operation Neptune
The 507th PIR first saw combat during the Normandy invasion - 6 June 1944. The 507th and the 508th PIRs were to be dropped near the west bank of the Merderet River. The objectives of both regiments was to establish defensive positions in those areas and prepare to attack westward sealing off the Cotentin Peninsula.

In the predawn hours of D-Day the sporadic jump patterns of the 507th and 508th PIRs left troopersLt Colonel Charles J Timmes(Picture Courtesy of Rian) spread out over a twenty mile area. Some who overshot the Drop Zone (DZ) dropped into the Merderet River and its adjoining marshes. Many troopers who jumped with heavy equipment were unable to swim free and drowned. Others roamed the countryside until they encountered other units and joined their effort. Even Colonel Millett, the commanding officer of the 507th was unable to muster his troops and was captured three days after the drop in the vicinity of Amfreville. Only the 2nd Battalion under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Charles J Timmes (pictured left) was able to function as a team and began digging in around Cauquigny on the west bank of the Merderet River.

507th PIR Regimental Pocket Patch Upon verification of Colonel Millett's capture, General Ridgway transferred the command of the 507th to Colonel Edson Raff, a veteran of the 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion during Operation Torch. Colonel Raff received this command after fighting his way through to General Ridgway at Les Forges. Colonel Raff would lead the 507th, "Raff's Ruffians" as they would become known, until the end of World War II.

Throughout the confusion the indomitable spirit of the paratroopers in the days and weeks following D-Day enabled the 82nd Airborne to seize La Fiere bridge and push westward to cut off the Cotentin Penninsula. After 33 days of continuous combat the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions returned to England aboard LSTs.

In August, 1944 General Matthew Ridgway the 82nd Airborne Commanding General was promoted and took command of the newly formed XVIII Airborne Corps which included the 17th, 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions. The 504th PIR which sat out the Normandy drop because of depleted ranks suffered at Anzio was now at full strength. Since the 17th Airborne Division was now training in England and in need of another parachute regiment to full out its ranks, it was determined that the battle-tested 507th PIR would be permanently assigned to it. The 17th Airborne Division under General Miley's command would not participate in Operation Market Garden. Instead, it was held in strategic reserve while completing their training.

Battle of the Bulge - The Ardennes Offensive
The Germans launched their last great offensive in Belgium on 16 December, driving west through thinly held positions, and catching the Allies unprepared. Maj. Gen. Troy Middleton's VIII Corps was giving way, and he desperately needed reinforcements.

The 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions had recently disengaged from operations in Holland and were training and refitting in base camps in the Reims-Suippes-Sissonne area of France. The 17th Airborne Division was in training at base camps in Wiltshire and Surrey, England. Corps Headquarters and Corps troops were split between Epernay, France and Ogbourne St. George, England.

The initial success of the enemy counter-offensive resulted in a decision by General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander, SHAEF to detach the XVIII Airborne Corps from the FAAA and attach it to the Twelfth Army Group. Meanwhile, concurrent action had been taken to move the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions by truck to the vicinity of Bastogne, Belgium which was the contingent area assigned by the First U.S. Army. Poor weather conditions initially kept the 17th Airborne Division in England. However, they were later able to fly into action from England and fought under the Third U.S. Army.

From 23 to 25 December, elements of the Division were flown to the Reims area in France in spectacular night flights. These elements closed in at Mourmelon. After taking over the defense of the Meuse River sector from Givet to Verdun, 25 December, the 17th moved to Neufchateau, Belgium, then marched through the snow to Morhet, relieving the 28th Infantry Division, 3 January 1945.

Initially, the 507th PIR and the 193rd Glider Infantry Regiment (GIR) were kept in reserve in anticipation of a German counter attack. However, once the 17th Airborne Division cleared the western side of Bastogne of all German units, the 507th PIR and the 193rd GIR turned eastward and led an attack across Luxembourg to the Our River. On February 10, 1945 the 507th PIR was relieved and returned to its base camp at Chalons-sur-Marne in France.

Operation Varsity - The Airborne Assault on the Rhine
In early February 1945, the tide of battle was such as to enable an accurate estimate as to when and where the 2nd British Army would be ready to force a crossing of the Rhine River. It was determined that the crossing would be in conjunction with an airborne operation by XVIII Airborne Corps.

The sector selected for the assault was in the vicinity of Wesel, just north of the Ruhr, on 24 March 1945. Operation Varsity would be the last full scale airborne drop of World War II and the assignment went to the 17th Airborne Division with the 507th spearheading the assault dropping at the southern edge of the Diersfordter Forest, three mile northwest of Wesel.

It was during this operation that Pfc George J Peters of the 507th was awarded the Medal of Honor. Pfc Peters and a group of 10 other troopers landed in an open field near the town of Fluren. Raked by enemy machine gun fire the troopers laid there helplessly. Peters, armed with only his rifle and a few grenades took it upon himself to charge the German machine gun nest. After receiving several wounds and bleeding profusely Peters crawled to within 15 feet of the gun emplacement and pitched two grenades into the enemy stronghold. The ensuing explosion silenced the machine gun and its crew.

Operation Varsity was a text book success. All of the units had performed in an amazing fashion shattering the German defenses in four and a half hours. In the ensuing days the 17th Airborne would lead the thrust into the heartland of Germany. On April 10th the 507th captured Essen, the home of the Krupps Steelworks.

On May 7, 1945, General Alfred Jodl signed the instrument of surrender in Rheims, France. The ceremony was repeated the next day in Berlin for the benefit of the Russians and President Truman declared May 8 as V-E Day. In September, 1945 the 17th Airborne Division was shipped home and deactivated.

This grouping belonged to a true American hero who is documented as jumping into Normady on D-Day and getting Wounded in Action, he then saw action in some of the most famous and gruesome battles in WW2 and was decorated accordingly. This is an ultra rare grouping that will not be repeated.


  • This product is available for international shipping.
  • Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal & Sezzle


Cash For Collectibles