Shopping Cart ( 0 )
View cart

Original German WWII Nazi Party Flag - Captured by 112th Infantry Regiment

Regular price $895.00

Item Description

Original Item: One-of-a-kind. The 112th Infantry Regiment was called to active federal service on 17 February 1941, 10 months prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor. After years of training, the unit first entered the continent of Europe on the Normandy beaches following the D-Day landing. It became the 112th Infantry Regimental Combat Team which consisted of the 112th Infantry Regiment, the 229th Field Artillery Battalion, the 103rd Engineer Battalion, Company C, 447th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, and Company C, 630th Tank Destroyer Battalion. 28th Division commander James E. Wharton was in his first day of command when a German sniper shot him while he was at the 112th Infantry's command post.

The regiment plowed through France and Germany, participating in the capture of Paris and the bitter fighting in the Huertgen Forest. At one point, after the fight for Kommerscheidt, the regiment was reduced to 300 men. During December 1944, the 112th Infantry Regimental Combat Team was holding a 6-1/2 mile long sector which the Germans attacked with nine divisions. The unit inflicted 1600 casualties and destroyed eighteen tanks during nine days of continuous action, that was later known as the Battle of the Bulge. The regiment was awarded battle streamers marked Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes-Alsace, Rhineland, and Central Europe for its service in World War II. The unit was also awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation for its actions during the Battle of the Bulge, from 16 to 24 December 1944. The unit was mustered out of federal service on 6 December 1945 at Camp Gordon, Georgia.

The 112th remained an organic unit of the 28th Infantry Division throughout World War II.

This cotton 2-part construction Nazi party flag measures 31” x 55”. It was captured and the following was written on it:

1st Army
Oct. 23. 1944
Company K
112 Infantry
28 Division

There is a 28th Infantry Division “Keystone" insignia patch pinned to the flag, the pin is actuially a Giessen Hessen Nassau Tinnie. This tinnie is souvenir/collectable pin for when one visited this historical building. It is made of a carved white celluloid base. The obverse shows a building in Giessen with a bannered "Hessen Nassau" and is surrounded by a boarder that reads "Giessen" to the bottom. The reverse shows a full white back with a steel pin.

Below is an excerpt from

The 112th Regiment with the 28th Division crossed into Belgium on 7 September, 1944 and into Holland the next day. Three days later the unit moved into Germany. The 28h Division, at times with its Regiments working as part of other Divisions, then threw itself against the West Wall, the German fortifications along its Western Border.

After a brief rest, the Division renewed is attack on October 8, 1944. The 28th Division fought back and forth in the Huertgen Forest. gaining and then losing ground repeatedly. By the time it's men reached Schmidt, which was described as a little village, the unit had lost so many men that they were all mixed up with other units of our battalion : wherever they would meet, they would just band together and try to hang on.

The American forces would take Schmidt only to be surrounded and forced to withdraw through the Germans. Then they would be ordered back to the attack. Schmidt changed hands several times.

The 28th advanced slowly against stiff opposition. By the battle's end, the 112th Regiment had lost about 75% of its strength of 2,000 men. The 112th Regiment was withdrawn from the Battle due to casualties and fatigue on 17 November, 1944. The 110th Regiment of the 28th was similarly withdrawn two days later. The entire Division, battle weary, was relieved on November 19th by the 8th Division.

Shipping Restrictions

    This product is available for international shipping.

Payment Options

    Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon


Cash For Collectibles