Item:
ONSV21TGS110

Original German WWII MG 42 Display Machine Gun by Mauser Werke with Lafette Mount - both made in 1943

Regular price $6,995.00

Splitit Learn More

Item Description

Original Item: Only One Available. Constructed years ago from a legally demilitarized (de-milled) parts set: this is an ALL German WW2 MG42 Display Gun. It is made from all original parts, and even comes with a German WWII Production Lafette (Mount) 42, dated 1943!

The rebuilt inert non-firing BATF approved receiver with a solid steel new made section has fine markings that are easily visible and read-

J. T.
M.G. 42
9980
ar

ar is the maker code for the legendary Mauser-Werke AG in Berlin-Borsigwalde. This company needs no introduction, and is arguably the most famous and well-known German maker of arms during the late 19th Century up until the end of WWII. 

Originally founded by King Frederick I of Württemberg as the Königliche Waffen Schmieden (Royal Weapons Forges) on 31 July 1811, it rose to fame once taken over by two sons of Master Gunsmith Andreas Mauser: Wilhelm & Paul Mauser. The contributions that Paul Mauser made to the firearms world can hardly be overstated. After his passing in 1914, the company continued to innovate and product weapons. It still exists today as a weapons manufacturer.

The date code J.T. with this maker mark indicates 1943 production, early in MG 42 production. There is also the correct Waffenamt eagle next to arz, the correct marking for the inspectors stationed at the Mauser factory.

The butt stock is wood, and is in very good condition, having been refurbished post war, most likely in Yugoslavia. The display gun still has a working barrel ejection system, though the barrel must be fully forward for it to unlatch. As many of the parts were in service post war, they have Yugoslavian markings on them, as well as German markings. As the display gun was set up to be on the mount, it does not have a bipod attached.

The Lafette included was made for the MG42, and is in very good condition. It is painted post war apple green, and definitely saw service in Yugoslavia, who added their own range data plate to the elevation control. There also was a data plate at the rear of the cradle, but this was removed to reveal Original German WWII date and letter codes: 43 btm 147 b. This indicates 1943 production by maker Hülsbeck & Fürst, Schlossfabrik (Lock Factory).

The elevation mechanism is also marked:

[HHK]
1939
7398
b

The Square “HHK” marking is the early / pre-war maker mark for Heinrich H Klüssendorf Werkzeuge (Tools), located in Berlin - Spandau. This may have been a left over part, or it may have been originally installed on a Lafette 34, and then parts were swapped post war.

Condition is good, and as far as we can tell, the Lafette 42 is complete and functional. It has an intact optical sight bracket, as well as original carry straps, though they may be Yugoslav issue. It folds up correctly and the MG 42 display gun mounts easily.

Offered in excellent condition this is a very hard to find all German WWII MG 42 Display Machine Gun, complete with a correct WWII dated Lafette 42! We only get the display guns a few times a year, if we are lucky, so act quickly as they never last long.

Note: as these were in service post war, some components may display Yugoslav stock markings in addition to German wartime markings.

The MG 42 (shortened from German: Maschinengewehr 42, or "machine gun 42") is a 7.92×57mm Mauser general purpose machine gun designed in NSDAP Germany and used extensively by the Wehrmacht and the Waffen-SS during the second half of World War II. It was intended to replace the earlier MG 34, which was more expensive and took much longer to produce, but in the event, both weapons were produced until the end of the war.

The MG 42 has a proven record of reliability, durability, simplicity, and ease of operation, but is most notable for its ability to produce a high volume of suppressive fire. The MG 42 had one of the highest average cyclic rates of any single-barreled man-portable machine gun: between 1,200 and 1,500 rpm, resulting in a distinctive muzzle report. The only Allied automatic ordnance of any type with a similar calibre that was designed to exceed this rate of fire was the Soviet Union's .30-calibre ShKAS machine gun for aircraft armament, due to its "squirrel-cage" layout, ten-round "pre-feed" mechanism giving it a firing rate of 1,800 rounds per minute.

One of the weapon's most notable features was in its exceptionally high rate of fire of about 1,200 rounds per minute, twice the rate of the Vickers and Browning machine guns, which fired at a rate of about 600 rounds per minute. So effective was the weapon in laying suppressive fire that the United States Army created training films to aid its soldiers in dealing with the psychological trauma of facing the weapon in battle. The MG 42 fired at such a high rate the human ear could not easily discern the sound of individual shots being fired, instead hearing a sound described as like "ripping cloth" or a buzzsaw, giving rise to the nickname "AH's buzzsaw" (and the German soldiers' AHsäge ("AH's saw" or "bonesaw").

The gun was sometimes called "Spandau" by British troops, as was the MG 34, a traditional generic term for all German machine guns, left over from the famous Allied nickname for the MG 08 Maxim-derivative used by German forces during WWI, which was derived from its manufacturer's plates noting the city where some were produced.[citation needed]

The MG 42's high rate of fire resulted from analysis concluding that since a soldier typically only has a short period of time to shoot at an enemy soldier, and muzzle rise quickly throws off initial aim, it was imperative to fire the highest number of bullets possible in the shortest time to increase the likelihood of a hit before the recoil overcame the inertia of the gun and pushed the aiming point upwards. The disadvantage was that the weapon consumed exorbitant amounts of ammunition and quickly overheated its barrel, making sustained fire problematic. Thus, while individual bursts left the weapon as highly concentrated fire at 1,200 rounds per minute, the Handbook of the German Army (1940) forbade the firing of more than 250 rounds in a single burst and indicated a sustained rate of no more than 300-350 rounds per minute to minimize barrel wear and overheating, although the excellent quick-change barrel design helped a great deal. Burst limits are typical on non-water-cooled automatic weapons, and slower-firing Allied guns such as the M1919 also had limits; they fired at a slower rate, but lacked a quick-change barrel, and so the operator had to limit his fire to a few hundred rounds per minute to allow the barrel to cool between bursts. Due to the slower firing rate, this led to a longer period of time spent shooting, but a roughly equivalent total number of rounds fired. Operationally, the MG 42's main drawback was that it could consume ammunition at such a high rate that it was very difficult to keep firing during offensive actions, because ammunition had to be carried forward on a continuous basis. This was also a problem at the end of the war with inexperienced German troops. Good fire discipline was necessary, and the level of training that the German infantry was receiving at that time was poor.

The method of barrel change made the MG 42 unsuitable for secondary or co-axial armament on World War II era German tanks with the exception of the Jagdpanzer IV. Early versions of the Jagdpanzer IV carried two standard (no modification made) MG 42s on both sides of the gun mantlet/glacis, firing through a ball slot which was protected by an armored cover (with the MG 42 retracted) when not in use. Later version Jagdpanzer IVs carried only one MG 42 on the left side.

In the German heavy machine gun (HMG) platoons, each platoon served four MG 34/MG 42 machine guns, used in the sustained fire mode mounted on tripods. In 1944 this was altered to six machine guns in three sections with two seven-man heavy machine gun squads per section as follows:

Squad leader (NCO) MP40

Machine gunner (private) MG 34/MG 42 and pistol

Assistant gunner (private) pistol

Three riflemen (privates) rifles

Horse leader for horse, cart and trailer (private) rifle

The MG-42 incorporated lessons hard-won on the Eastern Front. Both the cocking handle and the catch for the top cover to the working parts were designed so that the gunner could operate them wearing mitts or with a stick or rod. This was vital for winter conditions where contact by bare flesh on cold metal could cause severe injury, such as instant frostbite.

The MG42's effect was so devastating that Allied troops were trained before the D Day landings to distinguish its unique sound when fired, which was like cloth being ripped or the sound of a buzzsaw. Allied troops were trained to charge an MG-42-equipped pill box only at the time of its one weakness, which was when its overheating barrel needed to be changed.

  • This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
    New Jersey, Washington


    This product is not available for international shipping.
  • Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Cash For Collectibles