Original German WWII M40 Refurbished WWII SS Battle of Mortain Helmet - Stamped EF66
Original Item: Original Item: One-of-a-kind. This is a fine example of totally original Model M40 M-1940 German WW2 large size 66 helmet shell. The shell is stamped EF 66 indicating that Emaillierwerke AG, of Fulda, Germany manufactured it. Size 66 is a nice large size that can accommodate liners from 58cm to 60cm or US 7 1/4 to 7 1/2. Size 66 shells are much harder to find and are therefore more valuable to a collector.
Notable history of the WWII M40 SS Battle of Mortain Helmet-
- In August 1944 the first major German Counter Attack led by Two SS panzer Divisions with over 180 Panthers and MKIV’s begins to drive the Americans back to the Normandy Coast.
- The key road junction is the small town of Mortain which has the key Hill 314 that has a tactical advantage with a view of 20 miles. From here observers can drop artillery fire with devastating effect.
- The SS Divisions quickly swept through the lightly held town and only had the 130 GI’s of the Old Hickory Division to wipe off Hill 314 and command the battlefield.
- The GIs were ordered to hold at all cost. And faced the 18000 German Troops and tanks for the 1 st SS and 116 th Pz Division
- Barely holding with little ammo, US Airpower held the advance until Bradley sent Commands from the US 2 nd Armor Division which finally halted the advance.
- This was the beginning that ended at Falaise which halted the next to last major German offensive on the western front
- This helmet represents those Soldaten who towards the end of the war fought against very long odds.
What does refurbished mean? While the shell is 100% genuine WWII manufacture, we have tasked, perhaps the very best German Helmet restorer in the USA, to customize this helmet. Every detail is hand done, with the finest materials including a hand painted shell with high quality authentic decal. Please know that the paint, decal, liner and chinstrap, while they look totally original are all new and the helmet has been refurbished to look as if it was picked up off the battle field by a USGI and brought home as a war trophy.
This helmet is one-of-a-kind there will never be one exactly like it making it a true collectors piece that will do nothing but appreciate in value in the coming years. This is a rare opportunity to own a genuine WWII German Helmet for a fraction of the cost of one with original camouflage paint and decals.
This product is available for international shipping.
Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon