Original German WWII M40 Refurbished II SS Panzerkorps Kursk Camouflage Helmet - Stamped Q66
Original Item: One-of-a-kind. This is a fine example of totally original Model 1940 M40 M-1940 German WWII large size 66 helmet shell, refurbished by a master German camouflage restorer. The shell is very faintly stamped Q66 indicating that F.W. Quist G.m.b.H. in Esslingen, Germany manufactured it. It also has lot number 203 very faintly stamped under the rear skirt. Size 66 is a nice large size that can accommodate liners from 58cm to 60cm or US 7 1/4 to 7 1/2. Size 66 shells are much harder to find and are therefore more valuable to a collector.
Notable history of the WWII M40 II SS Panzerkorps Kursk helmet:
- In July 1943, the largest tank battle in history took place on the Russian Front. The Germans wanted to eliminate a bulge in their lines near a town called Kursk. If they had attacked earlier when they first planned they most likely would have steamrolled through to victory. But AH, meddling again, postponed the attack until the new panzers ( Panthers) were ready for battle.
- The II SS PanzerKorps (II. SS Pz.Kp.) was the backbone of the attack made up of the 1SS Panzergrenadier Division Leibstandarte Adolf AH, 2nd SS Panzergrenadier Division Das Reich and the 3rd SS Panzergrenadier Division Totenkopf
- The Russians, tipped off on when and where the attack would take place, built a defense that stretched nearly 25 miles deep.
- In spite of all the adversity, the II SS Panzerkorps made penetration in the face of desperate defense, regardless of losses
- While the battle is considered a tactical loss for the Soviets due to enormous losses, the Germans never made their objectives. It was to be the last great German offensive in the East
- This helmet represent those Soldaten driving against all odds in the last gasp of the Wehrmacht in the East
- Helmets at this time were heavily camouflaged with paint provided or found by the field units. With no regulations regarding paint schemes, collectors can come across very unique patterns.
What does refurbished mean? While the shell is 100% genuine WWII manufacture, we have tasked, perhaps the very best German Helmet restorer in the USA, to customize this helmet. Every detail is hand done, with the finest materials including a hand painted shell with high quality authentic decal. Please know that the paint, decal, liner and chinstrap, while they look totally original are all new and the helmet has been refurbished to look as if it was picked up off the battle field by a USGI and brought home as a war trophy.
This helmet is one-of-a-kind there will never be one exactly like it making it a true collectors piece that will do nothing but appreciate in value in the coming years. This is a rare opportunity to own a genuine WWII German Helmet for a fraction of the cost of one with original camouflage paint and decals.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon