Original German WWI M16 Refurbished WW2 Transitional Waffen SS Helmet - Shell Stamped ET68
Original Item: One-of-a-kind. This is a fine example of totally original Model M16 M-1916 German WWI large size 68 helmet shell. The shell is stamped ET68 indicating that Eisenhuttenwerk AG, Thale Harz , Germany manufactured it. Size 68 is a large size that can accommodate liners from 59cm to 61cm or US 7 3/8 to 7 5/8. Size 68 shells are very hard to find and are therefore more valuable to a collector.
This helmet has the following notable features-
• Maker’s code with marking “ET68” stamped on the interior of the shell found over the wearer’s left ear!
• Correct original air ventilation lugs.
• There should also be a dome stamp (under the paint). On the inside dome of every WWI German helmet you will find a heating lot code, these codes were used by the steel factories during production. These steel mills were called rolling mills.
Notable history of the WWI M16 Refurbished WW2 Transitional Waffen SS Helmet:
- In the early days of the Wehrmacht, the various units were outfitted with old WWI equipment, including WWI Stahlhelms
- Due to a shortage of the new M35 helmets, many units used old WWI helmets with WWII decals
- In early 1933 the doppelte Siegrune (Double Victory Rune) was first seen on the old and new helmets after being developed by Walter Heck, an SS Sturmhauptführer who worked as a graphic designer for Ferdinand Hoffstatter, a producer of emblems and insignia in Bonn.
- The transition to the newer helmet was swift and finding this combination of new decal on the old helmets is rare and very desirable for a collector.
- Additionally, Waffen SS decals on any helmet is highly collectible
- The helmet represents those transition days when the Waffen SS came into being and became the elite branch of the Wehrmacht.
What does refurbished mean? While the shell is 100% genuine WWII manufacture, we have tasked, perhaps the very best German Helmet restorer in the USA, to customize this helmet. Every detail is hand done, with the finest materials including a hand painted shell with high quality authentic decal. Please know that the paint, decal, liner and chinstrap, while they look totally original are all new and the helmet has been refurbished to look as if it was picked up off the battle field by a USGI and brought home as a war trophy.
This helmet is one-of-a-kind there will never be one exactly like it making it a true collectors piece that will do nothing but appreciate in value in the coming years. This is a rare opportunity to own a genuine WWII German Helmet for a fraction of the cost of one with original camouflage paint and decals.
This product is available for international shipping.
Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon