Original German WWI M16 Refurbished WW2 Transitional Luftwaffe Helmet - Shell Stamped TJ68
Original Item: One-of-a-kind. This is a fine example of totally original Model M16 M-1916 German WWI large size 68 helmet shell. The shell is stamped TJ66 indicating that C. Thiel & Söhne, -Lübeck manufactured it. Size 68 is a nice large size that can accommodate liners from 60cm to 62cm or US 7 1/2 to 7 3/4. Size 68 shells are VERY hard to find and are therefore more valuable to a collector.
This helmet has the following notable features-
Maker’s code with marking TJ68 stamped on the interior of the shell found over the wearer’s left ear!
Correct original air ventilation lugs.
There should also be a dome stamp (under the paint). On the inside dome of every WWI German helmet you will find a heating lot code, these codes were used by the steel factories during production. These steel mills were called rolling mills.
Notable history of the WWI M16 Refurbished WW2 Transitional Luftwaffe Helmet:
- In the early days of the Wehrmacht, the various units were outfitted with old WWI equipment, including WWI Stahlhelms
- Due to a shortage of the new M35 helmets, many units used old WWI helmets with WWII decals
- In early 1935 the First Pattern Luftwaffe Eagle decal was first seen on the old and new helmets
- The transition to the newer helmet was swift and finding this combination of new decal on the old helmets is rare and very desirable for a collector.
- Additionally, The First Pattern Luftwaffe decal on any helmet is highly collectable
- The helmet represents those transition days when the Luftwaffe came into being and became the elite branch of the Wehrmacht that ruled land and skies from 1939-1943
What does refurbished mean? While the shell is 100% genuine WWII manufacture, we have tasked, perhaps the very best German Helmet restorer in the USA, to customize this helmet. Every detail is hand done, with the finest materials including a hand painted shell with high quality authentic decal. Please know that the paint, decal, liner and chinstrap, while they look totally original are all new and the helmet has been refurbished to look as if it was picked up off the battle field by a USGI and brought home as a war trophy.
This helmet is one-of-a-kind there will never be one exactly like it making it a true collectors piece that will do nothing but appreciate in value in the coming years. This is a rare opportunity to own a genuine WWII German Helmet for a fraction of the cost of one with original camouflage paint and decals.
This product is available for international shipping.
Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon