Original British Victorian Officer's 92nd Regiment of Foot White Spiked Pith Helmet with Brass Ring Chinstrap
Original Item: One Only. The 92nd regiment of foot was originally raised in Aberdeenshire by General George Gordon, 5th Duke of Gordon as the 100th (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment of Foot, in 1794 as a response to unrest in France. In 1798, the Regiment was "re-ranked" as the 92nd (Highland) Regiment of Foot, and several more name changes took place during the long service of the regiment. In 1860, the regiment was renamed again to 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment of Foot, finally regaining the original designation. This was the name until the Childer's reforms of 1881 amalgamated the 92nd and 75th regiments to form the Gordon Highlanders, and the ranking system was no longer used.
During its existence the regiment received many battle honors:
- Egmont-Op-Zee - Battle of Alkmaar (1799)
- French Revolutionary Wars: Mandora, Egypt
- Peninsular War: Corunna, Fuentes D'Onor, Almaraz, Vittoria, Pyrenees, Nive, Orthes, Peninsula
- Napoleonic Wars: Waterloo
- Second Anglo-Afghan War: Charasiah, Kabul 1879, Kandahar 1880, Afghanistan 187880
This very interesting Victorian Officer's white pith helmet dates from the period 1860-1881, and appears to be of Cork covered with white canvas with brown leather sweat band to the interior. It was intended for tropical use and bears a Spike mounted to top and its brass ringed chin scales. The brass helmet plate bears the regimental ranking XCII (92) at center, surrounded by a listing of the regiment's battle honors. The interior is lined in green cloth with a label reading - "WATERPROOF TROPICAL HELMET - MADE IN ENGLAND." The exterior white canvas type cork covering somewhat age stained but is overall in very good condition, complete with its pleated "puggaree", the exterior cloth helmet binding. There is some stitching separation to brass rings and leather backing of the chin strap.
Exceptionally hard to find and ready to display.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle