Original British Napoleonic Pewter Naval Quart Tankard marked to HMS Caledonia - Largest Man-O-War in 1808
Original Item: One of a Kind. Ordered in 1797, the massive MAN-O-WAR HMS Caledonia, the largest in the Fleet, had 120 Guns and weighed just over 2,616 Tons. She was regarded as the finest warship afloat and was the pattern for warship construction for the next generation. She was finally launched in 1808 as ADMIRAL PELLEW's FLAGSHIP of the Mediteranean Fleet. She had a notable engagement with the French Man-o-War ROMULUS and chased back into the harbor at TOULLON in 1814 just one year before the final defeat of Napoleon Bonaparte at the Battle of Waterloo. She remained in service and eventually in 1856 was converted into a Hospital Ship and re-named. She was finally Broken up for scrap in 1875.
The lovely Officer's QUART marked Pewter tankard we offer is the largest of the Naval marked Tankards included with our Royal Navy marked Pewter I.M.A. purchased. It shows a full engraving of the Warship and is engraved HMS Caledonia. It has Hallmarks as well as Inspector's marks as well. It no doubt left the Royal Navy when the Officer retired, as this was never issued but an Officer's private purchase item. There is a nice intertwined monogram on the front side of the tankard and what appear to be the name and street of a Public House (Pub) on the underside.
Almost certainly the Naval Officer retired and lodged his own tankard in his local pub for use when he came in. Eventually he probably died and the Tankard was then "adopted" by the publican as belonging to the house by adding its own markings to it.
A magnificent Quart Tankard measuring 6 1/2" tall and the rim 4 1/2" across. A massive tankard from The Royal Navy's largest Man-o-War of the day with copious markings, ready to display!
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle