Original Item: Unlike the other unmarked Snider rifles we offer, IMA has found just a few with TOWER marked lock plates. While there is not question that the lock plate or the entire lock was made in England it is our belief these weapons we assembled in the kingdom of Nepal in the latter 1870s and 1880s.
At that time the Nepalese were very adept gun makers and would use whatever good gun parts were available, therefore on some of these Snider rifles it is not uncommon to find dates in the early 1850s and even the 1840s. Meaning that the locks were adapted from P-1840 muskets also known as East India Company Pattern Muskets. Other markings vary, if any are visible, most locks date in the 1850s. Here is a chance to own a very interesting part of history of which very few exist.
Offered in cleaned and complete condition, these are the best we have, and have been inspected to be in complete condition and 95% cleaned by our staff. Please be aware, that the remaining 5% of cleaning is purposely left to the buyer, as the risk of over cleaning can effect value.
History of the Snider rifle- Jacob Snider, an American from New York, developed this breech loading system for the P-1853 Enfield, the most prolific imported Percussion rifle in use by both the North and South during the U.S. Civil War. When the British Board of Ordnance appointed a Select Committee in 1864 the Snider system was swiftly adopted with the first breech loaders being issued in 1865 to British forces.
Improved in 1867 by the use of Colonel Boxer's center fire brass bodied cartridge, the rifle was used very effectively in the Abyssinian Campaign of 1868. The system utilized a hinged breech block with an internal firing pin assembly that permitted the use of a self contained cartridge of lead bullet in cardboard, and, after 1867, brass casing. This highly efficient conversion system prolonged the active life of the P-1853 rifles up until 1871 when the Martini System was adopted. Snider rifles saw continued use throughout the Empire but were officially obsoleted by the late 1880s.
NOTE: "Cleaned and Complete" antique guns are often cleaned to order, so these may not be available for same-day expedited shipping. International orders of antique firearms MUST be shipped using UPS WW Services (courier). USPS Priority Mail international will not accept these.
- Shipping Restrictions
This product is not available for shipping in US state(s) New Jersey .
This product is available for international shipping.
- Payment Options
The following payment Options are available for this item:
American Express: available
Google checkout: not available
Paypal: not available.
- Legal Information
IMA considers all of our antique guns as non-firing, inoperable and/or inert. Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 921(a)(16) defines antique firearms as all guns made prior to 1899. This law exempts antique firearms from any form of gun control or special engineering because they are not legally considered firearms. No FFL, C&R or any license is required to posses, transport, sell or trade Antique guns. All rifles and muskets sold by IMA that were manufactured prior to 1899 are considered Antiques by the US BATF (United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms). Therefore, all of IMA's Antique guns may be shipped to all US States and most nations around the world.
These antique guns are not sold in “live” condition. They are sold as collector’s items or as “wall hangers”. Any attempt at restoring an antique gun to be operational is strongly discouraged and is done so at the risk of the customer. By purchasing an antique gun from IMA you thereby release IMA, its employees and corporate officers from any and all liability associated with use of our Antique guns.
Pre-1899 Manufacture, no licenses required, allowed to ship to almost any deliverable address across the globe. Please note that for international shipping, these MUST be shipped using UPS WW Services.
1 Item(s)per page
- Beautiful Rifle Review by Bill G
Quality Price Value
I purchased a P1864 with 1853 Tower markings. It has Nepalese numbers on all parts except the lock which has British proof marks on the inside. I am very pleased with the overall condition and cleanliness of this rifle. I contemplated getting an uncleansed one but decided on a cleaned one to see how well they cleaned up. To my complete surprise this rifle has matching numbers on all parts. I expected a mediocre rifle but ended up with an heirloom.
I would recommended IMA if you are interested in this type rifle.
(Posted on 2/16/16)
1 Item(s)per page
Write Your Own Review