Original Item: Only one available. The Maschinengewehr 08, or MG08, was the German Army's standard machine gun in World War One and is an adoption of Hiram S. Maxim's original 1884 Maxim Gun. It was produced in a number of variants during the war. The MG 08 remained in service until the outbreak of World War II due to shortages of its successors, the MG 13 Dreyse and the MG34. It was retired from front-line service by 1942.
The Maschinengewehr 08 (or MG08)—so-named after 1908, its year of adoption, could reach a firing rate of up to 400 rounds per minute using 250-round fabric belts of 7.9mm ammunition, although sustained firing would lead to over-heating; it was water-cooled using a jacket around the barrel that held approximately one gallon of water. Using a separate attachment sight with range calculator for indirect fire, the MG08 could be operated from cover. Additional telescopic sights were also developed and used in quantity during the war.
We are proud to offer a beautiful rare original German M.G. 08 display gun that is comprised of original parts (except side plates) rebuilt on BATF approved dummy side plates. The top cover is marked " M.G. 08, D.W.M. BERLIN 1917 " and Display gun comes complete with original optical sight base, anti-aircraft rear ladder sight, and spider web circular foresight mounted on the rear of barrel jacket.
Weapon comes with wood spade grips, flash eliminator and circular flash shield. Crank/cocking handle operates the demilled bolt/lock on the interior so the action can be cycled but cannot dry fire. Some repair evident to rear of water jacket but can easily cosmetically improved.
This MG08 originally on the Western Front was shipped by the Allies to Turkey in 1919 and was fitted with an MG 08 commercial tripod which bears a French and Turkish marked data plate. An exceptionally rare German Display M.G.08 water-cooled Machine gun of WW1 with the original commercially manufactured tripod. Just Magnificent!