New Made Item: Countless customers have asked how best to restore an Antique gun without damaging the historical value. Well, now we have an answer! Developed by Master gunsmith and restorer Dennis Duval, IMA is proud to offer, for the very first time, a complete restoration kit ideally suited to cleaning, restoring and caring for our numerous Antique rifles and Muskets especially our line of “untouched” guns. This kit is designed to restore your gun without destroying the original finish of the stock, patina of the steel, or the lure of the brass. Every kit is comprised of these 10 separate components:
• Liquid Soap Concentrate- (Potassium Methyl Cyclohexy Oleate): Alkaline soap is a non-acid, non-corrosive, non-hazardous, germicidal cleaner for practically everything from paper to stone. Compared with harsh acid based cleaners, soap is not harmful to health or property. Soap attacks and emulsifies dirt, mineral oils, fatty oils, waxes and hydrocarbons. A final rinse or wipe with clean water neutralizes the surface. Soap is supplied as a dense concentrate and MUST be diluted before use. For normal aqueous cleaning: one part Vulpex to six parts tap water (by Volume) is sufficient. As a spirit soap, one part Soap in ten-twenty parts solvent will be effective. As Soap is a highly effective de-greaser hands should be protected against the loss o natural oils by wearing gloves (provided in kit). Eyes should also be protected from splashing.
• Surface Cleaner & Polish- Gently abrasive paste for non-scratch cleaning of metals. Formulation is based on blended Neuberg silica chalks in a water/white spirit emulsion. Under normal use, the product is not a health hazard. cleaning/burnishing action is achieved with extremely fine control using a soft rag and soft/moderate pressure. After a few minutes of air-drying, residual chalky deposit is easily wiped away with a clean rag, leaving surfaces dry and silk-smooth.
• Wax Polish- Micro-crystalline wax/polish ultra refined waxes blended to a formula approved for and used by the British Museum and fine art restores internationally. It conifers a highly efficient moisture resistance. When thinly applied and rubbed out to the full luster, the wax film is, and remains, glass-clear with no discoloration either o the wax or underlying surface.
• Pen Oiler- Mineral oil blended penetrating oil with extra handy applicator tip.
• Wood Treatment Oils- A unique blend of natural emollients of boiled linseed oil, oleoresins, and wood preservers.
• 0000 Steel Wool
• 00 Steel Wool
• 1 Small Copper
• 1 Pair EX-Large Latex Gloves
• Detailed Restoration Instruction Manual
This kit will get you 90% of the way to a cleaned and fine antique gun but a few other materials might be needed depending on the job. Materials such as: Tooth Picks, Rags, basic tools, toothbrush, extra steel wool, etc…
- Shipping Restrictions
This product is available for international shipping.
- Payment Options
The following payment Options are available for this item:
American Express: available
Google checkout: available
- Legal Information
4 Item(s)per page
- Very Pleased Review by Pete
Quality Price Value
I'm very satisfied with this kit. The instructions made sense to me, though he packs a lot of info in a short document and you have to read it closely.
Like one of the other reviewers, I thought more supplies could be included. Then, I needed more and learned how much those museum grades treatments cost. I just bought 250 ml of the Vulpex soap (8.4 ounces) and it was $90.
The Prelim and Renaissance Wax aren't that much, but they aren't cheap either.
(Posted on 10/27/15)
- A good beginning! Review by Pick251
Price Value Quality
I agree with the other reviews, in that it is a good introduction from an expert's point of view on restoring an antique firearm. However, I would have preferred a more complete and better organized pamphlet. Its good, but could have been better, and it was his experience in restoring antique firearms I valued most. As far as the materials in the kit are concerned... The Vulpex soap is indispensable. It is a fantastic cleaner, but it's high alkalinity should be taken into consideration, especially when cleaning any old leather or old wood. An excellent cleaner, nonetheless! The Pre-lim cleaner is a very mild metal polish/cleaner, requiring a lot of elbow grease, but safe to use on old metal. The Renaissance wax is top-notch, but is not intended to prevent corrosion when subjected to the outdoors, if that is a consideration. My favorite item by far is the Wood Treatment, and I would buy this kit again, just to get my hands on some more of this stuff. It says that it is a special blend of BLO, Oleoresins, and wood preservatives, and I wish the bottle were bigger, because it has made the 113 year old American Black Walnut stock on my Krag carbine look really healthy. I wish I could buy this stuff separately. The pen oiler is nice, I guess, but haven't needed it yet.
(Posted on 10/11/14)
- good! Review by the Norwegian
Price Value Quality
a good introduction for cleaning up and restoring antique guns, contains a good and deep manual.
could have gotten a bit more for the money, but I consider it an introduction to the basic equipment needed, just get some CLP and a whole lot of more steel wool, and you're good to go.
(Posted on 11/4/11)
- Review by Marcus R.
Price Value Quality
Two words "Buy This" Mr Duval has put together a wonderful kit. Buy it whether you have one of the "Untouched" guns or not. There is stuff in this kit I didn't even know existed, the soap is great. I have seen people who cleaned there guns with some pretty harsh stuff, oven cleaner etc. With this kit you not only don't have all the chemical fumes and mess but it cleans to a perfect finish. You are left with a beautiful gun that still looks like a fine antique.
(Posted on 6/30/10)
4 Item(s)per page
Write Your Own Review